Is This The Real Life

      We made the tough decision on Friday to go ahead and do the procedure to start dialysis.  Over the weekend Chris was feeling much better and stronger, better than he has in quite some time.  Last night we discussed at length what today might bring and how we might proceed.   We were so confident that because of how he was feeling, he'd finally turned a corner.   So it was demoralizing to find out that his levels went up yet again.   His Creatinine which has a normal level range of .72-1.25, was at 4.27 when we got here and is now at 11.23. 

      Although the MICU team thought that it was best to do the procedure to put in what they need to do dialysis, just like Friday it's been a long day of waiting for IR (Interventional Radiology) to do it.   For whatever reason they didn't assign him a time and just put him as an "add-on".  They said it was likely only 1-2 hours away several times.  They finally took him back about 6:00.   It was a long day, a little too reminiscent of the endless waiting the night in May before his first surgery. 

      The procedure went smoothly and he was back in his room and awake about 7:30.   He was very concerned about being under anesthesia for yet another time this year, and we talked to them quite a bit before they took him down.  They asked him if He was actually able to do the procedure mostly awake.   It was great to have him awake when he came back into the room and that it was a successful procedure with no complications. He kept talking about how cool it was to be able to see and know what they were doing for most of the procedure.   And, when he started to get a little nervous, they asked what music he wanted.  He requested Queen. 

     It's now just a bit after  9:00 and the dialysis nurse is here and has him hooked up to the two machines that will perform the dialysis.   Today's session is only two hours, and there likely will be another one tomorrow.  What was supposed to not even be an overnight stay on the 5th has now turned into a long marathon where it feels like the finish line kept getting changed.  We still aren't sure when he will return home, or how long and frequently he'll need dialysis but at least this long stay in the ICU at least has an end in sight. We had hoped to avoid dialysis, but well... here we are. 

      I'm not sure what Queen songs played during his procedure, and many of you at the mention of queen likely have some running through your head.   I looked through some to see if perhaps there were any that fit my feelings today, there were several that were close, but these lyrics were the closest.


Ooh you make me live
Whatever this world can give to me
It's you you're all I see
Ooh you make me live now honey
Ooh you make me live

Ooh you're the best friend that I ever had
I've been with you such a long time 
You're my sunshine and I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
Oh you're my best friend

You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one
And I love the things
I really love the things that you do
Ooh you're my best friend

Ooh you make me live

I'm happy at home
You're my best friend
Oh you're my best friend
Ooh you make me live
You're my best friend

  

1 comment:

  1. So glad the procedure went well. Hope you'll be home soon! 💚

    ReplyDelete