Don't Spill the Beans

     This morning during nurses rounds they said that his creatinine levels had raised, so it sounded like dialysis was probably eminent.  Tears slipped down my cheeks as my heart sunk.   However when the nephrologist team came by they aren't quite ready to take the jump, and are still sitting on the fence.   It's a relief to know that perhaps there's still a sliver of hope that he's on the verge of starting to improve. So, here we are a week later still waiting and hoping for an easier path to emerge.  Last night we both got a pretty good night's sleep and today was relatively quiet.   Hopefully tonight will bring another good night's rest to help his kidney's heal.   

 
    As I think I may have mentioned, I was prompted to pack the Sunday before we ended up here.   Most everything I packed was to make sure that I was taken care of, such as clothing and food.   One thing I packed was a package of Jelly Belly's.   It's something that always makes me think of my best friend Leah and I thought would be nice to have as a special treat.   Little did I know that it would be a special treat for Chris as well.   After lunch and dinner today I snuck him... one.  (Don't "spill the beans" and tell the nurses or doctor's because he's on a crazy limited diet which we are making sure to follow)  I heard somewhere that you should eat food shaped like the organ you want to help.   (broccoli for your brain, artichokes for your heart).   They are shaped like a kidney...


     Today I also ventured out of the hospital for the first time since we arrived a week ago.  I met with my bosses to update them on everything and for them to update me on what they are doing to help my store out in my absence.  As I left  I asked if there was anything from "the outside" that I could bring him.   But since he's on a very limited diet, sneaking back in food wasn't an option.  We couldn't come up with anything.  However, thanks to my thoughtful bosses, I didn't return home empty handed.   When I walked back in with a bag from Fanzz his eye's lit up.  The smile on his face when he pulled out a Kansas City Chiefs hat was priceless and it helped my heart to see a little bit of joy in his life. 




      What started out as a tough day turned out OK.  My sweet aunts Gail and Roxann came in the morning and evening and helped nourish my body and soul.   Today's sunset was beautiful and hopefully a sign of better news on the horizon.   For those reading tonight before bed, please say a prayer that tomorrow will be the day that his kidney's finally decide to take a turn for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment