Week 3 - Miracles

In three weeks of dealing with Multiple Myeloma, I have had the experience to write many novels.  Just the bone marrow biopsies could fuel a movie franchise by itself. However, one thing I have noticed is in the midst of the pain, blood, sorrow, sadness, tears, etc. is the presence of inspiration.

I call them miracles.

Example 1: Halloween Eve! I had been released a day or two before and had to go back for my first appointment with my Doctor at 11AM to give me the results of my leg biopsy. Turns out, it wasn't enough and they are going to go through with the sternum biopsy. Which I said they could knock me out for. He agreed (...but I was awake for anyways..). They ran blood labs and were uncomfortable with a level of something on my kidneys so they scheduled me for dialysis immediately. Of course, it wasn't until 6 PM that night that I started. Missing out of pumpkin carving and other festivities. I was bummed.

About 9:15PM that night, Michelle just left for a walk around while I dozed finishing up dialysis. Just as the door closed, my nurse assistant came in and said there was an active shooter and that we are now on lock down. I immediately woke up and told him to grab Michelle, but when he went to get her, she was gone. I looked over and her phone was sitting where she was. Panic. There is a word I missed. About 20 minutes went by before Michelle showed back up and we were looking out our window to the spot lights scanning the hillside right out side the window. I calmly asked Michelle to close the shades. Around 1AM they told us we could leave, but at our own discretion. I hated staying in a hospital so much I wanted to leave. Just too late though.

We ended up staying at the Huntsman for the night. We had no supplies, and because of my need for a vent, I had to be put back up in ICU. We got the same room. We laughed. And promptly fell asleep.

Example 1: Miracles
- When I checked in at the clinic, I received a cool knitted cap for winter. Why is this a Miracle? I was just thinking to myself when we were headed in that it is going to be cold soon, and I will need a new hat, but I hate shopping for them.

- Jeff was my dialysis tech and Monday Night Football was on. Why is this a Miracle? Jeff is by far my favorite tech and he sat and watched my Chiefs beat the Broncos with me, and cheering for the Chiefs. It was a great distraction to what was going on and what I had to look forward to the next day.

- Michelle was safe. Why is this a Miracle? (You have to ask?) From her point of view, she had no idea what was going on. The one time she doesn't take her phone and she almost walked outside. She decided against it and came back to the room to me on near freak out mode. Whew.

- Staying in the same room, on the same floor with the same nurses that I was used to. Why is this a Miracle? Comfort. I was able to fall quickly asleep. My vent settings were in their records so it was easy for their Respiratory Tech to set up a vent for me. I had slept there a while, so I was used to it. And I was going to need a good rest for the procedure in the morning.

All miracles, if you look for them.






No comments:

Post a Comment