Expiration Date

To preface most of this post, I was told at my diagnosis that, because of the involved kidney failure, I have a three to five year life expectancy.  So most of these thoughts are based on that knowledge and things I have thought about the last few months. Sorry if this is morbid to you.  It is a daily thought to me.  Please take with a grain of salt, as I bring my sense of humor along.




Friends

A couple months ago, due to a random encounter involving a potato ricer, I ended up with a new best friend, Tyler. We say that jokingly, but the man brings me fresh barbecue and smoked ribs. I mean, seriously, the guy is a pit-master. Anyways, getting to know him better and hanging out a bit, things are great. However, he made a comment that I haven't been able to shake, and that was, "I wish I would have come up and said hi sooner, I feel like there was wasted time there."  With so little time granted to me, is it fair to others to friend them? What about friends I haven't seen in a while? Do I keep in touch, reach out?


Stuff

Those who know me the most, know I like to collect things. I have an amazing collection of Star Wars Memorabilia. From a huge collection of Funko Pop Figures to large figurines of Darth Maul and some Storm Troopers. I also have various video game and Super Hero figurines. And I have an unhealthy relationship with the Kansas City Chiefs and probably should stop buying ball caps that tell everyone that I am a fan. With such a short time frame, do I stop buying stuff? Getting rid of it is going to be a pain, and I don't want Michelle stuck with it. Do I gift it away? Who is going to want all these Chiefs hats? I'm such a geeky dork.




Knowledge

One thing I have been really good at is teaching myself new things. My expertise with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign has been all self taught. My computer expertise of hardware, software and all things Internet, self taught. I tell everyone that I bend the Internet to my will, and it is very true. It is scary some things I can do on there. My Facebook and Social media advertising, mainly self taught, though I had a great mentor at a previous job. Do I keep learning? Look at those skills, do you think they will be important in the next life? Everything there involves a computer. Are there computers in the Sky? Because "..I'm gonna go to the place that's the best..". Love that song.. 


New Vehicle

With the new treatment, I am getting stronger everyday. Hoping to be able to drive more frequently soon. I miss my truck, it is more a race car than truck, and she sounds so sweet. I even got to drive her the other day, and for those that do not know, it has been about 18 months of not being able to drive due to a health problem of some sort. And man, do I miss the freedom. But she is getting old and I think I am ready for a fun vehicle. (See the matte black Dodge Challenger) I know our first need is a replacement for my bride, and we are hoping to get something this summer. Needs to be able to make the run to the Mothership (Huntsman Cancer Institute), in the snow, in 12 parsecs.. oh and reliably. But then, do I think about my dream car? How would that work? My loan would have a longer time frame than me!


Final Thoughts

Please know I am not depressed. Some things about fighting cancer can be very depressing. Sitting with chemicals dripping into your chest for 7 hours each week with nothing but hospital to look at, yes, can be blah. I am strong. I am young. I have the bestest bride on the planet. I have great friends and family that keep me laughing and engaged. I have a lot to fight for. I know that I want to start travelling a bit, and hopefully will get some miles in soon. So, I hope that even though the topic is dark, that I was able to keep it a little light.  But do know this. There are a lot of factors that are in play here, and I can beat it. I plan on beating it, at least, that is what I am fighting for. This lion has a lot more fight left in him.



No comments:

Post a Comment