Humbling Experiences

Just under two years ago, my sweet niece and her husband showed up at my door and asked to name her son after me. It was one of the most humbling moments of my life. This past weekend I finally got to meet him. Say hi to my great nephew, Jonah Christopher! Such a cool little dude. He is almost 18 months and is so smart, he even does a tiny bit of sign language. Such a cool little dude!

Another humbling moment has been having my brother come down, for almost two weeks, and work himself ragged to give me a safe shower. Throughout the whole process, all I wanted was for it to be safe, so let me explain a little. There is a nasty side effect of the chemo I am on, that gives my feet and hands neuropathy.  Basically, they are numb, or feel like they are getting numb or in a state of pins and needles. It makes it hard to walk, as you cannot feel the ground. It is even worse with shoes on. If you have seen me walk recently, and saw how funky it is, it is because of the neuropathy. The best way to experience it, I think, is if you duct taped blocks of wood to the bottom of your feet and tried walking around. It is why I have an awesome cane, for the balance. Anyways, because of it, walking is frustrating, but steps up or down can be hazardous. Even one step. Previously, the shower we had, had a 4 or 5 inch lip you had to step over, and if you add water and numb feet, well, it is a recipe for disaster. Enter my brother. He listened to what we needed, added his expertise, and went to work. What we have is an amazing walk in shower that is comfortable and safe. Oh yeah, and he added heated floors and then extended them to the bench. Yeah. It is that awesome. 

Recently, I had another bone marrow biopsy. This time the went into my femur. I can happily report that no drill bits were broken. However, to date, it was the single most painful moment of my life. The humbling part though, was the doctors and nurses in the room were amazed that even though they knew I was in so much pain, I could remain completely still.  At the time, I thought it was best not to move thinking it could be disastrous!  I still feel pain in the bone, once in a while, but I am using it as a reminder that this battle is far from over, and if I can survive a little drill in the bone, I pretty much can survive anything.

And finally, my bride. Michelle humbles me as I observe her. She recently had a conversation where someone told her she was so strong. She declared, "I have to be!". Of everyone I have seen or met on this journey, I know that it is the hardest for her to go on this ride with me. The thing is, she IS strong. In every way. Physically, she has kept me from falling numerous times!  I am no small man at all, and when I need her, she is rock steady, every time. I have pushed away nurses twice her size, because they just aren't as reliable. Mentally, she has run a house, a store, appointments, finances, and does it all with a smiling face. Spiritually, she shows me every day that her faith can move mountains. She has never wavered, and never lets me waver too long.

I have my weak moments, but I see her and if Michelle can handle what she does, then I can handle Multiple Myeloma.



No comments:

Post a Comment